[Asterisk-Users] Signalling C7 / SS7

Tom Scott telecomtom at vedatel.com
Mon May 10 13:24:25 MST 2004

That's the way to go: IMTs (or "SS7 trunks") for the
bearer services and and SS7 for signaling. The cost
benefits alone would make it a valuable project.

The days of the huge end office switch are numbered.
every building and the larger corporations will have
its own softswitch. There's plenty of fiber in
the metropolitan areas that could handle the traffic
outside the LEC loops, and the ability to construct
and maintain scores of SS7-based mini-pops all
over town. What's stopping it? Well, we don't want
to get political on this list so i'll end that line
of thought right now.

I think we'll get there in a year or two. Despite
what our friends at the SS7 groups might have
us believe, Asterisk is a good platform to start
from. The place to check next is at java.sun.com and
nist.gov. Does anyone know if the JAIN APIs have
any interest groups that are working on open-source
Java implementation of SS7, and if any of these
projects are showing up at java.sun.com or Ranga's
group at nist.gov?

I guess the other issue is: What would the programming
interface be between asterisk C and a java
implementation of SS7?

take a look at the IPCC softswitch architecture. it's
modular. What would it take to make open protocols
between the components of asterisk, and to have one of
those components be an SS7 signaling gateway?

Asterisk is the way to do it. Even if we don't have
a total solution, we could at least start a wish list?

-- TT