[Asterisk-Users] Signalling C7 / SS7

Tom Scott telecomtom at vedatel.com
Mon May 10 09:47:07 MST 2004

Storer, Darren wrote:

>Hi Roger,
>

>>What hardware do you use to connect your asterisk
>>box to a PSTN carrier via C7/SS7 (instead of ISDN PRI)?
>>

>There is currently no native SS7 support within Asterisk. If your need is
>urgent you could source a protocol converter (PRI/C7) from a 3rd party like
>Telesoft (Okeford 4000 etc.) but the costs are prohibitive compared to a
>very cost effective Asterisk platform.
>
>There is an OpenSS7 project (See: http://www.openss7.org/asterix.html ) that
>is looking at such a stack for Asterisk but it appears to have stalled. Have
>a look in the mailing list archive for more info.
>
>Out of interest, why do you need SS7 on your Asterisk build? (Which features
>etc. are you looking to support?)

I can';t speak for anyone else, but my interest in SS7 is academic.
I'd like to include a chapter or two on the "softswitch" movement,
where traditional CO/EO switches are replaced by an MGC/MG
and related components like an application server, media server
and signaling converter/gateway). It would be valuable for students
in an Intro to VoIP course to have even just minimal hands-on
experience with SS7 messages, the three types of nodes (SSP, STP,
SCP), the systems they connect to (traditional CO/EO switches,
softswitches and databases), and basic operation of the protocols,
especially TCAP, SCCP, and ISUP. If you're interested, see our
course notes at:

http://vedatel.com/Isdn/voip_ss7_softswitch.html#mozTocId41743

-- TT