[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940 Phones as paging system?

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Sun May 9 12:10:30 MST 2004

Rich Adamson wrote:

>>I have been searching for an answer to a question that a customer asked
>>me and I have only found a few older answers.  So, wanting to find out
>>if anyone has any experience with this issue and can help provide me
>>with some advice.
>>
>>I have a customer which is strongly interested in using Asterisk as a
>>PBX.  One of the core requirements, however, is that the system MUST be
>>able to support intercom/paging.  Having searched the archives, it
>>appears that this question was asked about 6 months ago, and the answer
>>was that the Cisco phones support this using SCCP and having one line
>>set to auto-answer, but at the time this was not supported in the SIP
>>image.  Is this still the case?
>>
>>Although I know that SIP is the preferred protocol for connecting these
>>phones with Asterisk, how stable/reliable are the skinny channels?  Is
>>there any reason I should be rethinking this solution?
>>

>Apparently your search didn't find several other postings on the subject.
>
>The cisco v6.x sip releases also include the ability to "auto-answer" a
>call (required for phone paging), however some folks tend to suggest that
>is a security problem as anyone can call that autoanswer extn number
>and listen in on whatever is going on around the phone. There is no
>beep or other indication the phone/microphone is open.

Thanks.  Given HIPAA, I am not sure I would want to rely on a light,
beep, etc. since these might not be noticed until it is too late.  My
solutions is actually very simple-- only give certain extensions access
to the intercom extensions.  Others are not allowed to do this.  Period.

Best Wishes.
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting