[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940 Phones as paging system?

Shane Young asterisk at ShaneYoung.com
Fri May 7 12:37:27 MST 2004

Quoting Rich Adamson <radamson at routers.com>:

> The cisco v6.x sip releases also include the ability to "auto-answer" a
> call (required for phone paging), however some folks tend to suggest that
> is a security problem as anyone can call that autoanswer extn number
> and listen in on whatever is going on around the phone. There is no
> beep or other indication the phone/microphone is open.

We are on Cisco's beta program where we get to try out the new sip software before it's released,
report bugs, suggestions, etc.  This was one of the things I pointed out to them.  I suggested
adding a beep or something just before it answers.  At the very least, they could make the icon of
that line different than the regular idle icon.

They didn't add the beep, but they did add the icon so when the phone is idle, you can see that it
could auto-answer.

I'll try suggesting it again for 7.X of the SIP image.