[Asterisk-Users] Low Bit Rate Codecs

Craig asterisk at nihost.net
Sat May 8 15:19:18 MST 2004

Greetings all,

I have searched all over and have found bits and pieces on low bit rate
codecs, however I have found it very difficult to compare apples with
apples.

The conclusions I have come to are as follows, I would appreciate if
anyone has some feedback, or point me to where I might find this sort of
comparison in black and white....

G723.1
very low bit rate
used commercially, not avail for *
(I am currently using this codec in another commercial application and
therefore it is my reference point)

G729a
low bit rate
slightly higher bandwidth usage than 723.1 ???
avail as a low cost add-on for *
better quality that g723.1 ???

iLBC
Low bit rate
slightly higher bandwidth usage than 723.1 and 729a ???
open source, no additional cost for *
quality comparable to G729a
stands up better ip paths suffering from latency and jitter ???

any comments ?, or any codecs I have missed in the same class ?

craig