[Asterisk-Users] Failover Scenario - synchronizing voicemail & key files

Steven Kokinos steve at kokinos.com
Sat May 8 12:08:37 MST 2004

I currently have several asterisk servers geographically distributed (for
automatic fail-over in the event of either a network or server problem). My
carrier delivers to each server based on the same priorities that I have set
in the DNS SRV records which the clients point to.

Users always have dialtone regardless of a single server failure. In
addition, once they have re-registered with the backup server they will
receive calls as normal until the primary becomes available again.

However, there is a slight issue in a few circumstances (and others not
listed):
(1)The carrier can see the primary, but the clients can't (or vice versa)
meaning that a user won't receive the call (but can make calls, and inbound
will go into voicemail).
(2)A user receives a voicemail while temporarily failed-over to another
server, then re-registers with the primary server (meaning the voicemail
will be "stuck" on the secondary server).

The solution I am using is to run rsync to synchronize configuration files,
and (hopefully soon) voicemail between all of my servers. The config files
are no problem since changes will always be made on the primary, then
propagated out (I run a script to look at the checksum of /etc/asterisk
every 5 minutes, if it is different i execute a reload).

However, the voicemail (and potentially sound files, etc.) are a different
story. Best I can tell, voicemail data is entirely contained within
/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail. Are there any other files/directories I
should be concerned with? Discussion around this topic in general appears to
be somewhat spotty (and there's nothing on voip-info.org) so any comments or
suggestions people have would be appreciated.

-Steve