[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Cisco 7960 problems persist (for me, anyway)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat May 8 08:47:38 MST 2004

Vic,

The problem you're having has been discussed multiple times on this list,
and can be easily seen using ethereal to inspect the timestamps contained
within the rtp packets sent "to" the 7960 phone. There are several issues
involved, including:
 1. the cisco phones drop any rtp packet that is not exactly 160 milliseconds
    between successive packets (thus causing choppy audio). That drop
    function seems to be the result of cisco changing DSPs in their v6.x
    code. I've not heard of anyone running v5.x sip code with the problem.
 2. iax2 had a bug in it that Mark fixed last month. The bug resulted in
    iax2/gsm timestamps that were erratic when they should have been
    exactly 20 milliseconds between successive packets.
 3. Code was added to rtp.c about a month or so ago that "ties" the
    iax2/gsm timestamps directly to the sip/rtp timestamps. When that code
    was added, it made the iax2 erratic timestamps "and" Cisco's dropping
    of packets extemely obvious to iax2 users. Other non-iax2 users are not
    impacted by this.

Cisco phones seem to be the only ones impacted by this. There are three
short term fixes available to you:
 a. upgrade (or insist your service provider) upgrade their iax2 code. (I
    don't believe the Stable branch has the fix in it as yet.) NuFone
    and some others have done that a few weeks ago.
 b. remove the two or three lines that were added in rtp.c (although
    Mark is discouraging this approach for other reasons), or, go back
    to source code cvs from about early March.
 c. Change the 7960's from v6.x code to v5.x code (and open a trouble
    ticket with Cisco). I've not heard anyone suggest that dropping rtp
    packets with uneven timestamps is necessary, a standard, or anything
    else. Therefore believe it's an anomaly that crept in with the DSP
    change in the sip v6.x code from Cisco.

Rich