[Asterisk-Users] chan_sip and Digest realm

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu May 6 13:28:21 MST 2004

James Sizemore wrote:

> I am going to change my Digest realm to match my DNS SVR record.
> I dug through the code  in chan_sip.c and on line 2748 I found it hard
> coded <frown> :
>  snprintf(tmp, sizeof(tmp), "Digest realm=\"asterisk\", nonce=\"%s\"",
> r\anddata);
> I'm going to change this to :
> snprintf(tmp, sizeof(tmp), "Digest realm=\"isdn.net\", nonce=\"%s\"",
> r\anddata);
>
> I looked through the code and this does not look like it will cause me
> any problems.
> Has anyone else changed the "Digest realm"? Did you have any odd problems?
In CVS HEAD there's no a config option in the [general] section of sip.conf
where you can set realm to anything.

The recommendation from RFC3261 is to set the realm to a globally unique
name, your host name or domain depending on implementation. The realm is
the service the user authenticates to. A realm may apply to one or more
servers, as long as the same authentication (username/secret) works.

/O