[Asterisk-Users] Lost my G.729 licenses

Clif Jones ctjones at earthlink.net
Wed May 5 12:46:15 MST 2004

I had a disturbing problem with my G.729 licenses the other day and I'm
hoping that
someone can provide me with some insight since Google didn't.  I have 2
Asterisk
boxes, 1 acting as the main server with 10 G.729 licenses and 1 that is
acting as
a media gateway with 2 G.729 licenses.  The gateway build is:
CVS-02/16/04-23:57:06.
I have a TDM400 card with 1 FXS board (unused) and 1 X100P card that is
connecting
a POTS line to the main server via an IAX2 connection.  I should be
using 1 G.729 license
to connect the call to/from the POTS line to the main gateway.  I had an
extra license for
the FXS board when I decide to start using it.  This has worked fine for
months but about
a week ago, I noticed that all calls coming through this gateway were
dropping when my
Cisco phones were answering the calls.  (The Cisco phones are configured
for G.729.)
It appears that the gateway didn't think that it had a G.729 license so
when the Cisco
phone registered to the main Asterisk server answered, the call failed.
Here is the gateway
log that I found to support this:

Apr 25 17:55:33 NOTICE[2883600]: Got event 2 (Ring/Answered)...
Apr 25 17:55:34 WARNING[131081]: No available g729b resources for channel 2
Apr 25 17:55:34 WARNING[131081]: Failed to build translator step from 8 to 6

There were no such errors on the main Asterisk server.  The problem is
that when the call that
generated the above logs came in, there was no activity on the gateway
or main asterisk server.
(i.e. show channels  returned 0 on both machines)
Restarting Asterisk on the gateway box fixed the problem.  Anyone seen
license checkin/checkout
problems on Asterisk?  If so, what is the workaround other than
restarting the PBX on a regular basis.
Thanks in advance for any help.