[Asterisk-Users] Mediatrix 1204 (4x FXO)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu May 6 05:20:53 MST 2004

> I have successfully implemented 1204 in semi production environment.
> Just want to share that it works very well, through the firewall (NATed).
> Unfortunately, it can not register with the server (and authenticate) but
> otherwise everything is fine. The audio quality is very good.

Wojtek,

Don't know how far you've tried to take the 1204 in terms of functions,
but we did the same thing over a two month period and found:

1. handling outbound calls on a "per pstn line" basis (eg, directing
certain calls to certain pstn lines) is very non-standard and subject
to future failures as code changes happen in * and the 1204.
2. ring-cadence detect is done on the first ring after the 1204 reboot
and applied to all four ports. If the pstn lines happen to come from
different Central Offices (with slightly different cadences), callerid
and other such timing sensitive functions will fail.
3. security is less then acceptable. If the 1204 is exposed to the
Internet, anyone can make calls, change settings, etc.
4. the per-port cost is substantially higher then many other products
"if" you consider the cost of keeping the firmware reasonably current
as standards evolve.
5. the box does not follow published sip standards; only selected pieces.
6. diagnosing problems and monitoring operational functions in a real-world
production environment is less then acceptable.
7. support is limited to whatever your reseller provides, which is less
then acceptable if your reseller is not familiar with *.

We also found the voice quality to be very good, echo cancellation was
good, etc. With relatively easy firmware tweeks to interoperate with *
and standards better, it would be a nice pstn interface; however, they
seem to not have any interest in going there.

Rich