[Asterisk-Users] g.729 - licenses and opinions

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Wed May 5 16:27:25 MST 2004

Jay Milk wrote:

>As someone who holds two patents, I'd have to disagree.  They developed
>something at expense of time and money, and now they're getting paid for
>it... And $10/channel isn't a major kink in anyone's budget anyway,
>considering you get Asterisk for free and the rest at $75/port or
>better.  I'm using Asterisk for my home and will have spent $800 in
>hardware when all is said and done.  If I need G729, I'll spend the $20
>or $30 for the two or three channels I may need.  If design a new codec
>that does CD-quality audio in under 4kpbs, you'd be charging people for
>that too.

Its extortion in my book....I've been told horror stories from 1st party
sources about how Voiceage negotiates with their potential customers.
Then most of us know how much of PITA Voiceage has made codec_g729b.so,
just so they can soak every nickel they possibly can out of Digium.

Hell, whoever controls the patent(s) for G.723.1 won't even talk to you
unless your prepared to drop a few hundred thousand dollars.... and
people wonder why Asterisk doesn't support G.723.1

Jeremy