[Asterisk-Users] g.729 - licenses and opinions

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Wed May 5 16:04:57 MST 2004

As someone who holds two patents, I'd have to disagree.  They developed
something at expense of time and money, and now they're getting paid for
it... And $10/channel isn't a major kink in anyone's budget anyway,
considering you get Asterisk for free and the rest at $75/port or
better.  I'm using Asterisk for my home and will have spent $800 in
hardware when all is said and done.  If I need G729, I'll spend the $20
or $30 for the two or three channels I may need.  If design a new codec
that does CD-quality audio in under 4kpbs, you'd be charging people for
that too.

It's one thing to get something free (open-source), but another to
demand something free.