[Asterisk-Users] g.729 - licenses and opinions

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue May 4 16:25:22 MST 2004

> I have a few SIP phones, Cisco 7960s, and was looking into implementing
> some compression, ala G.729.  I'm looking into purchasing a g729
> licenses just to get an idea of performance and voice quality, over
> lans, wireless and single channel isdn.
>
> Does anyone have positive/negative experience w/ getting
> licenses/support from Digium?  Hows the sound quality compared w/
> g.711?  Is 729 better on slow connections?  Jitter more/less of a
> problem then w/ g.711?  Was implementation a pain?  I've seen the
> bandwidth comparisons @
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Bandwidth+consumption
>
> Things look good... if g.729 turns out to be all it perports itself to
> be then I feel we'd have a real winner.

We've got about five licenses and a remote 7960's v6.3 running over
dsl working just fine. The average user cannot tell the difference
between 711 and 729. Installation was easy and straight forward,
although you'll find comments in the archives that 729 installation
requires a non-scsi drive on the * box.

In some cases, you might require two licenses even though you might
have only a single 729 phone. Think about VM, etc. Error on the side
of too many.

Can't comment on support; never needed any.