[Asterisk-Users] Re: How does Norvergence do it ?

James H. Cloos Jr. cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon May 3 16:04:06 MST 2004

Steven> My guess is they are providing the bandwidth and phone service
Steven> on that one T1. For that matter, it looks like they might be
Steven> pulling a data only line to your potential customer and then
Steven> running VoIP back to their end.

I took a look thru their website.  They are using atm on the t1 and a
voice codec they claim can do 32 toll-quality calls at a time over
that atm t1.....

(If you assume only 48/53 cell and 192/193 frame overhead that is
about 43471 bits/s or about 2/3 of a 64k clear channel.  I bet rge
(vovida's lossless codec for g.711 audio) could do that, so they
may actually be accurate with their as-good-as-toll claim.  Maybe.)

I'm sure they are paying clec-type charges for the loop and probably
have bill-n-keep contracts with the other lecs in each market they
are in.  That'll go a *long* way towards lowering costs.

-JimC