[Asterisk-Users] dialing a remote phone system and then entering an extension

C. Maj cmaj-SPAM at freedomcorpse.com
Mon May 3 12:05:51 MST 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Joel Duffield waxed:

> I am trying to get a way to have * forward calls that are dialed to an
> extension, to end up at an extension on my old analog phone system.
> I will have 7 lines coming into * using the new Digium cards via PSTN,
> and then lines coming from * into the PSTN lines on the analog system.
> So that if for example someone dials extension 110:
>
> The system will call the analog system, the system will assume that a
> call is coming from the telco as always, pick up right away, and then
> listen for an extension to be entered. This should then connect the
> incoming call to the extension on the analog system.
>
> My question is, does my logic work, and also if I use the dial command,
> and I set the analog system to pick up immediately, will wait long
> enough before it dials? If that wouldn't work is there a way that I can
> tell * to dial then wait and then send digits?

So, the legacy PBX already provides an analogue to *'s
Background app, ie., you dial in and it sits to wait for the
entered extension ?  Then you might as well just bridge it
right through *

    exten => s,1,Dial(Zap/g1/legacy_background_extension)

Since the Dial app isn't eating the DTMF, it should just
pass thru to the legacy PBX.

If, however, you want to use * to do the Background, then
dial that extension on the legacy PBX:

    exten => 110,1,Dial(Zap/g1/110)

Probably a better option because it gets you migrating to *
quicker.  And I assume you are upgrading.

I don't think you need to worry about the wait, * handles
analog interfaces and this is a requirement of such an
interface.  Meaning it won't send audio while on hook, but
wait for an answer.  There's even support for pulse dialing
in *, if it is that much of a legacy PBX.

--Chris

--
Chris Maj, Rochester
cmaj_at_freedomcorpse_dot_com