[Asterisk-Users] * Newbie installation advice

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun May 2 23:44:05 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 01:06, Jon Brandon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm about to install asterisk as the PBX at a location that my company has
> just moved into and I would like to get some comments and advice on the
> installation. I am new to * and don't want to make any big mistakes so I
> would love to hear whatever anyone has to say.

Your first mistake _may_ be the rush to learn. Good experiences normally
require you to have a time to get used to the application and PSTN
problems before you attempt to go through a roll out.

> Here is what I have so far
> Server:
>   * 2.8Ghz P4 - 1G ram
>   * T400P Tormenta II  (is this as good as the wildcard?)
> Chanel Bank:
>   * Adit 600 3FXS, 1FXO
>   * We will start with 6 PSTN lines

If you are going to start with 6 lines, you should decide how soon you
might upgrade. You then should look into the cost difference to get
either channelized T1 or PRI. You will be much happier with a T1 than
analog lines. Specifically look at how many people here fight with echo,
a T1 makes the risks of echo lower. It also becomes cheaper as the
number of lines go up than analog lines. At some point in your growth,
if you continue with analog lines, the telco will drop a similar Adit
right next to yours to break the T1 they bring in out to the analog
lines you order.

> Phones:
>   * Aastra PowerTouch 480 (Management, Customer Service etc)
>   * Aastra Meridian 8004 (break room, warehouse floor etc)
>   * Reception? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated as I
> have no idea what type of phone to give reception. Reception typically has
> a multi-line phone to answer incoming calls.

Multiline isn't necessary. For that matter, a receptionist isn't overly
necessary. You can help direct callers to a extension pretty easy with a
menu system you script. Then you just need to designate a couple of
people/phones that are used in the case the caller refuses to follow the
menu or doesn't find the person they are looking for.