[Asterisk-Users] FXO line hum w/ Z-plex 10

Brian D Heaton bdheaton at c4i2.com
Sun May 2 16:40:23 MST 2004

You're likely getting what is called a "ground loop".  This usually
occurs when you have the various pieces of equipment in a system seeing
different ground potentials.

For example, if your telephone demarc is connected to a short ground rod
outside your house, and your electrical power system is grounded to a
cold water pipe you'll have different ground references and different
ground potentials between the various elements of the system.

The first thing to do is make sure all your grounds are all bonded
together.  That way the same potential exists between all the grounding
points.  The next thing is to look at the way all the equipment in your
system is grounded.  Even if all the main ground points are bonded
together, you can still get ground loops if one piece of equipment has a
different ground connection than the rest.

Give this a whirl and let me know if it makes a difference.

			THX/BDH