Caller ID Re: [Asterisk-Users] Re: Support Digium

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sun May 2 15:20:48 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 00:11, David J Carter wrote:
> Mark J Elkins wrote
>
> >Um - Digium wants you to buy their hardware - but there is a CLID
> >issue.. would it not make more financial sense to insert a dumb ISDN
> >card (or two), and upgrade your PSTN to ISDN??? Would this not "assist"
> >Digium in making sure CLID worked in the UK???
>
> Isn't this a bit like cutting of the nose to spite the face.
>
> UK PSTN lines costs £30 /Qtr  UK ISDN costs £65 /qtr, you could buy two
> X100P's every year and still be in pocket by staying with PSTN.

ISDN BRI is two lines - so that makes it £2.50 more per line ???? - or
£10 a year..?? no need to purchase the BT50 (a caller-ID unit? - at what
cost? you need one per line? and an RS232 interface per unit?)

> There was a post on the list in the not to distant past where someone had
> written two small scripts for getting the information from a BT50 and a
> serial modification and passing it to asterisk.
>
> Still seems the best way in the interim.
>
> As has been said many times in the list Digium have given us this software,
> we don't have to give them a hard time in return. Not a fair payback.

True - the software is excellent. If they sold an ISDN BRI 4-port card
(like Fritz) - I'd buy it from them.
No intentions of bad mouthing Digium... but USA != World

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE