[Asterisk-Users] RE: Caller ID

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sun May 2 04:30:32 MST 2004

Tracy R Reed [treed at copilotconsulting.com] wrote:

> > > How about setting up a bounty?
> > > http://voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+bounty
> > >
> > If I had the money to rent-a-coder, would I have begged on a public
> > mailing list?
> >
> You are missing the point. If you contribute $20 and everyone else who
> wants this feature puts up their $20 it eventually adds up to enough money
> to get someone interested. You don't have to bear the entire burden
> yourself.

I'm not sure if software support for the line reversal monitoring is
desirable in the driver.  As the bounty calls for the code to be
accepted into CVS, this would be an issue for anyone looking to collect.

There were rumours, all those years ago :-), that the new FXO modules
would support line reversal detection in hardware.  I can't find any
technical specifications or other documentation for the new modules
so I can't tell if the modules are aware of a world outside of the USA.
I hope that they have this capability.  I also hope that they have
the relevant approvals for connection to the PSTN etc.

I was rather hoping that, by now, one of the $15 X100P manufacturers
would have released a $16 X100P card, with a slightly upgraded chipset,
that was suitable for international operation.  Digium seem to have
more of a profit margin with their $100 version, so they could probably
release an updated card (X102P?) without it affecting the price.

At the moment, the choices seem to be:

    1. Throw the X101P in the bin and spend $133 on a TDM01B (if it does
       turn out to support non-USA Caller*ID).

    2. Wait for a $16 X100P clone, with an upgraded chipset, and throw
       the Digium X101P in the bin.

    3. Get the soldering iron out and hack serial port support into
       a BT CD50.

    4. Get a digital line (ISDN etc.)

Options 1 and 2 still rely upon driver support, but I'd expect the
driver changes to be identical, or very similar, no matter which option
was taken.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz