[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail Options

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Wed Mar 31 12:18:52 MST 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 10:12 AM, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 11:51, Ryan Thrash wrote:
>> How do I set configure my voicemail notification so that when I'm left
>> a voicemail message it:
>>
>> 1) sends an e-mail to my inbox with the voicemail message attached
>> 2) sends a message to my cellphone without the message attached
>
> Use procmail and fix the message before forwarding it out.

Isn't the 'pager' address in the voicemail config good for this too?
I'm using it with my cell phone's email address, and I get a SMS
message whenever I have VM, and my mail server logs show that the
message sent to my phone was only ~400 bytes, while the one to my email
box was almost 60k.

>> An even better option would be for the * voicemail system function
>> like
>> a Telekol system:
>>
>> 1) * calls your cell after receiving a new message. On our system 888
>> puts you to voicemail of the extension you're dialing from, 887
>> prompts
>> for your extension. It would in essence place an outbound call from
>> 888
>> using your extension to your cell phone.
>> 2) The voicemail system keeps trying every X of minutes until you
>> answer your cell (a separate caller ID would be good for this), or it
>> can time-out after Y attempts
> Sounds like a good use of a .call file triggered by the above mentioned
> procmail action.

Yikes, nasty.  If that's what you want, then the procmail/call file is
probably the way to do it.

For less pushy VM messages, I'd just edit the VM email message to
include the DID number for checking voice mail; most phones will let
you select the number out of the SMS message and dial it directly.

Scott