[Asterisk-Users] Hot plug PCI?

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Wed Mar 31 08:12:17 MST 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 6:42 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Scott Laird wrote:
>> You can buy systems with hot-plugable standard PCI slots.  Many
>> higher-end servers have included the ability for years.
>>
>> Example:
>> http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantml530/index.html
>>
>> If you read down far enough, it mentions that the PCI-X slots are
>> hot-pluggable.  Linux has kernel support for the HP/COMPAQ/IBM
>> hot-plug chips, but I'm pretty sure that you still need a bit of
>> driver support.
>
> I haven't tried with a recent Compaq, but a couple of years ago the
> hot plug slots were a joke. It was nearly impossible to swap a card
> without disturbing the others in the chassis, and crashing the server.
> The cards did not slide out cleanly; ribbon cables for RAID drives ran
> across the top of the hot plug slots; etc. So, watch out - you need
> slots which are hot plug in deed as well as in word :-)

I didn't say they *worked* :-).  The newer stuff is probably slightly
better, simply because of the push towards faster bus speeds; with 100+
MHz PCI-X, each PCI-X bus is limited to a single slot.  So, it's a bit
harder to screw up nearby slots, because they don't share a bus.  That
doesn't solve the ribbon cable problem, though.

I've used a couple hot-swap servers, but I've never actually
hot-swapped anything in production.  I was able to add a NIC to a test
box, but that's not much of a test.

Scott