[Asterisk-Users] Hot plug PCI?

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Wed Mar 31 01:01:40 MST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 10:27:28AM -0600, Charlie Hedlin wrote:
> The quick question: Do the digium drivers for the Digium Wildcard TE410P
> (4 port T1/E1/PRI 3.3v card) , the T100P (single port T1),  and the
> TDM400P support hot plug PCI?  I am also noting that while the TDM400P
> doesn't state the voltage requirements, it looks like a 5v card.  I hope
> that I am wrong on this.

Hotplug PCI has two sides of things :
- drivers and software must support hot plugging : there is support in
  the Linux kernel for that. Digium drivers don't support that yet,
  but this is not very hard to do.
- hardware : you must have hotplug capable boards and bus. I believe
  the only option there is CompactPCI, and of course cPCI boards and
  chassis are very different from your day-to-day PCI stuff. Of course
  Digium boards, as well as any other standard PCI board does not
  fit.
  cPCI boards and chassis are considerably more expensive than their
  standard counterparts, if they exist at all.

You can't just hot (un)plug a standard PCI board : the bus is not
meant for this, you have most chances of destroying your board and/or
your bus.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive