[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk server lockup

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Mar 30 16:06:50 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 07:34, Gary Franczyk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to deploy a new asterisk server with a Wildcard T400P (quad
> T1) card.  It uses a custom voice recording app written in the perl AGI.
>
> Now that the machine has been in production, it seems to lock up within 24
> hours of reboot!  When it locks, we can ping the machine, but we cannot log
> in using telnet or ssh.  Asterisk stops answering the phone and our Big
> Brother monitoring scripts stop sending data.  Nothing is shown in the
> messages log.  The script we are using seems to be ok, since it exits after
> every
>
> My first guess is that it could be running out of memory (since I can still
> ping it, the kernel must be working to some extent).   I don't have a
> console attached to this machine yet, so I can't tell you what is displayed
> on the screen yet.  (I will get one soon) Has anyone seen any asterisk lock
> ups like this before?

pinging a machine doesn't mean any user level applications are even
running. Look around and you should be able to find a router project
that you set your rules up then halt the kernel. At that point the
kernel continues to pass traffic, but there is nothing on the machine
that can be run until it is rebooted.

I also have seen that on newer checkouts though not based a specific
amount of time or number of calls. We have had great experience out of
older asterisk deployments. So much so that they stagnated due to no
need to upgrade to anything newer.