[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 SIP Images

Roderick Montgomery rod at thecomplex.com
Mon Mar 29 14:14:49 MST 2004

> According to Iain Stevenson:
> >
> > Welcome to the very much less than wonderful world of Cisco software
> > support.  When will those guys simply make the software downloadable
> > straight away from their website for a modest fee?
>
> According to Chris HARIGA:
> If you pay 8 USD for 1 year support you can download the image :)

That may be true, but before downloading, you must first agree that you're
licensed for the software image. Cisco presumes that paying customers will
do the right thing. You also agree, by the way, that you will pay for the
license on demand if it is determined that you downloaded an image for which
you are not licensed.

As an Account Manager for a Cisco Premier Partner (with IP Telephony
specialization) *and* an Asterisk user/administrator/enthusiast, I see a lot
of confusion and grumbling within the Asterisk community about Cisco's
licensing, pricing, and support. Hopefully I can correct some misconceptions
about all three.

###
### Cisco sells software
###

First, understand that Cisco considers themselves a software company. Yes,
they manufacture tons of hardware, and do millions in R&D each year, but
most of the magic happens in software. It is fallacy to assume that the
software is free of charge, or comes free with a hardware purchase, or that
all future software updates are available for $8/year. By contrast, Digium
sells telephony hardware while the Asterisk software is free of charge.
That's a perfectly legitimate business model, but it's not Cisco's.

New Cisco products are sold only one of two ways - direct from Cisco, or
through one of Cisco's Channel Partners. Use the following to locate a
legitimate Cisco Channel Partner:
<URL:http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/jsp/partner_locator.jsp>

###
### Hardware != Software
###

Cisco IOS Software, phone firmware, etc. is normally bundled with hardware
at the time of purchase, because, frankly, the hardware isn't really of much
use without software. You may resell the hardware (which, looking at eBay,
happens frequently), but the software license DOES NOT transfer from one end
user to another. There are only a few exceptions to this rule, such as for
business affiliates, mergers, acquisitions, lease buyouts, and outsourcing
arrangements.

Under normal circumstances, if you buy Cisco hardware from anyone OTHER THAN
Cisco or a Cisco Channel Partner, the hardware does NOT come with a software
license. That must be purchased separately by the end user. Translation:
eBay buyers beware! Every time a piece of Cisco equipment is sold as
"previously owned" or used, and requires any Cisco software, a new software
license needs to be purchased. See the following for more details:
<URL:http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/products/usedEquipmentResources.shtml>

###
### SMARTnet Support
###

Cisco SMARTnet support is optional and completely separate from hardware
purchase and software licensing. SMARTnet support provides rapid access to
vital information and assistance when you need it, including:

* Registered access to Cisco.com for online tools and technical assistance
* Access to the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC)
* Cisco IOS Software updates
* Advance Replacement of failed hardware

SMARTnet is offered with or without onsite assistance (great for busy staff
or unstaffed remote offices), and at three service levels: 24x7x4, 8x5x4,
and 8x5xNBD (Next Business Day). Each product (IP phone, router, switch)
falls into a service category that determines the pricing level for
SMARTnet.

For Cisco operating systems such as Cisco IOS and CatOS, all software
updates for licensed feature sets for your covered platform are included in
the basic SMARTnet. Software updates include bug fixes and maintenance,
minor, and major releases within a feature set. No additional charge for
updates is warranted as long as the product remains under Cisco SMARTnet
coverage.

For more info on SMARTnet, see:
<URL:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/svcs/ps3034/ps2827/ps2978/serv_home.html>

###
### Pricing Tailored to Your Needs
###

With such a range of options, Cisco pricing reflects your feature
requirements and support needs.

* Have you purchased used hardware off eBay and need the latest software?
There's an inspection and relicensing process that can make your gear fully
legit.

* Do you need a Cisco IP Phone with a SIP software image and no ongoing
support? No problem.

* Do you require IP-only IOS rather than VPN/Firewalling IOS? The former is
more affordable than the latter.

* Do you need 24x7x4 onsite support for a lights-out remote office 823 miles
from your IT staff? We can cover that, too.

Cisco makes some great products -- I think my 7920 phone is amazing -- but
their software is not free, and their support is priced separately. If you
want support on your phone, switch, router, whatever... feel free to give me
a call or email off-list. If you have questions about licensing for hardware
that you're purchased, feel free to ask. If you want a different software
load (SIP vs. SCCP), let me know. There are legitimate ways to do all these
things. Just don't purchase used hardware, no software license, no support,
and then expect free software updates to rain down in perpetuity.

--
Roderick Montgomery   <roderick.montgomery at info-engineering.com>
Account Manager            phone 256-713-5356   fax 256-864-0932