[Asterisk-Users] Watchguard Firebox 1000 and Asterisk

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Mar 26 07:33:07 MST 2004

> Has any had any experiences with Watchguard Firebox 1000 and Asterisk. I
> have asterisk on public side and phones on the private side. I am able to
> get the phones to register and make outbound calls but the inbound calls are
> intermittent. I have NAT enable in asterisk and on the Cisco 7960.

I don't believe the Watchguard products are sip aware, therefore you will
need to address all of the nat'ing issues common to running sip and rtp
through the box. You are likely to have to change the registration
frequency on the C7960 to a shorter period of time as I'd bet the Watchguard
will timeout the nat table entries sooner then the phone system.

A packet sniffer (eg, ethereal) will be your friend towards resolving the
problem. Without "some" indication as to exactly which udp ports are being
used for rtp, etc, there isn't going to be much help from the list.

I can tell you that I had a snom 200 working through a watchguard in a very
similar setup a couple of months ago. I did not have to make any changes
to the watchguard in that case at all. (But, the watchguard was at a school
where outbound traffic was basically unrestricted. Sound was choppy, but
they had a well-known overloaded firewall too.)

Rich