[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 as an IETF Standard?

Steven Sokol ssokol at sokol-associates.com
Thu Mar 25 10:44:00 MST 2004

Here's a recap of what I am hearing:

1)  Everybody (thus far) is in favor of trying to standards-track (or at
least do an Information RFC) on IAX2.

2)  IAX2 needs to have AES encryption added prior to submission.

3)  IAX2 needs to have non pin-wheeling NAT support added (i.e. support for
intra-NAT operations with an external or extra-NAT located server).

4)  We need to find somebody or a committee of people who can take the time
to write up the RFC and (perhaps) research the process of submitting the RFC
for standards tracking.

Here's my additional request for the protocol prior to
finalization/formalization:

5)  IAX2 needs to be able to optionally limit an IAX user/login to a single
session.  I have written this up in great detail at:

http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0001164

I think this is necessary from a network/user management standpoint.

Has anybody spoken with Mark about this?  I know he was thinking in terms of
creating an RFC some time ago, and as leader and owner of the copyright on
the prime implementation of IAX2, we could use his input and blessing.

Here is a link to the IETF's RFC on submitting RFCs:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt

Here is a link to the IPTel working group home page:

http://www.softarmor.com/iptel/

It looks like we have to create an "Internet Draft" which is assigned to the
relevant working group for revision, questions, comments, more revision,
then it may or may not become an RFC.  Unfortunately, the IPTel working
group appears to be made up of people who are heavily invested in SIP.

Is anybody currently active on any of the working groups in the IETF?  Does
anybody know anybody in the IPTel group?  That may help us get started.

Thoughts?

<grumble>Off Topic - WHY does the IETF insist on using pre-paginated text
files as the official RFC format?  What a HORRIBLE format for
documents...</grumble>

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Sokol