[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 as an IETF Standard?

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Wed Mar 24 13:08:09 MST 2004

--On Wednesday, March 24, 2004 11:13 am -0600 Steven Sokol
<ssokol at sokol-associates.com> wrote:

> I have seen a number of postings cross this list that mention the
> possibility of standards-tracking IAX2 with the IETF (generating an RFC,
> etc.).  Has that gone anywhere?  What would it take to make it happen?

I think there are significant marketing advantages to generating an
Informational RFC for IAX2.  The fact that IAX does cross firewalls is very
important in the consumer market and of course helpful for everyone else.
At the moment Sk(h)ype gain significant PR mileage from this point.  Most
of the Press and Analyst community seem to leave their critical faculties
turned off when Skype is mentioned relating only the good points and not
the bad (security and bandwidth issues for end users, scalability etc).
Showing that there is a credible and standard alternative approach seems to
me to be a very good idea.

  Iain