[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 as an IETF Standard?

Steven Sokol ssokol at sokol-associates.com
Wed Mar 24 10:13:57 MST 2004

I have seen a number of postings cross this list that mention the
possibility of standards-tracking IAX2 with the IETF (generating an RFC,
etc.).  Has that gone anywhere?  What would it take to make it happen?

Several of my clients have indicated that they love the firewall/NAT
neutrality of IAX2, but that thus far very few equipment vendors have picked
up on it because it isn't a formal standard.  I agree with them.

So far as I know, IAX2 is the easiest VoIP protocol to implement.  Even with
STUN and other complex/cumbersome add-ons, SIP is a royal pain to implement
in most cases.  The same with H323.  In fact, the only thing that seems to
be even close is whatever protocol Skype is using, but they're not open...

On the other hand, there may be reasons, both technical and
political/economic, for keeping IAX2 as an in-house affair.  What do you
guys think?

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Sokol