[Asterisk-Users] Re: USB Headsets (Plantronics DSP-400)

Doug Meredith doug.meredith at skyridge.com
Wed Mar 24 09:27:33 MST 2004

"Ed Rubright" <ed at rubright.net> wrote:

>I'm thinking about getting the Plantronics DSP-400 headset for use with
>Xlite softphone.  I currently have a "analog" headset that does NOT have a
>DSP on board, which gives me mediocre call quality and echo when talking to
>the PSTN thru my X100P card.  I have zero echo when talking thru my X100P on
>my cordless phones attached to the Digium TDM400P.
>
>Before I got spend the money I was wondering if others using USB headsets
>with a DSP and getting good results?  My thought was thought by using a
>headset with a DSP on board the echo would go away?

Probably not.  The echo is occurring on the PSTN.  You can't hear it
through the TDM400P because the latency is so low that you don't
notice it.  When you move to VoIP, the extra latency lets you notice
the echo.

You need to eliminate this echo at your connection to the PSTN.  That
means trying to cancel it using the Zap options for this.  We didn't
have much luck doing this for our X100Ps.  It appears that the echo is
actually being caused on our local loop.  Probably an impedance
mismatch between the X100P and the line.  This occurs on three
different CO lines with three different X100Ps, at two different
sites.

We have ordered a Mediatrix SIP/PSTN gateway.  Hopefully this will
solve the problem.  We will probably stick the X100Ps in a closet
somewhere to keep dust off the shelf.

Doug
--
Doug Meredith (doug.meredith at systemguard.com)