[Asterisk-Users] Can i do voice chat without using the hardware

Michael Van Donselaar mvand at vandonselaar.org
Sun Mar 21 12:37:35 MST 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:11:33 -0800 (PST), suresh kumar <idcsureshp at yahoo.com>
wrote:

<snip>
>I would like to get some help from you.
>My server ip is 192.168.1.1 and i would like to
>connect to another ip 192.168.1.2. So how can i
>specify the ip 192.168.1.2 so that make a call from
>192.168.1.1?

Basic configuration is described in the QUICKSTART that came with the binary.
But, since you want to originate calls from the asterisk server, that's a bit
different.

I'm assuming that you have asterisk installed and working with your sound card.
I'm also assuming that you still have the default extensions.conf.   If so, you
should be able to type

dial 600

at the CLI prompt and get the echo test.  If not, you'll have to get that fixed
before going further.

If you can dial extensions from the console OK, then just

1.  Make and iax.conf entry for an extension

[101]
type=friend
host=dynamic
secret=foo
context=default
callerid="Remote PC" <101>
diasallow=all
allow=gsm

2.  Make an extensions.conf  entry for that extension in the default context

exten => 101,1,Dial(IAX2/101)

3.  Configure iaxComm on the other machine to use the iaxconf entry (username
101, password foo)

as described in the QUICKSTART.

>Should i install softphone s/w in server (192.168.1.1)
>and other machine (192.168.1.2)?

You don't want iaxComm installed on the asterisk server.  Just on the remote
machines.

>In sip.conf file how can i specify the ip 102.168.1.2

iaxComm does not use the SIP protocol.  It's config file is iax.conf