[Asterisk-Users] Use of Alert_Info with C7960?

David Croft davidc at sargasso.net
Sat Mar 20 22:10:41 MST 2004

Rich Adamson wrote:

> The wiki indicates Alert_Info can be set to a number, and implies that
> number is the ringer type listed on the phone. Is there a way to select
> one of the internal ringer types via Alert_Info?

My understanding is that:

1. 7940/7960 pre version 6 may support numeric values 1-5 (not tested).

2. 7940/7960 firmware version 6 supports textual ALERT_INFO
(bellcore-dr2) etc. (see version 6.0 release notes)

3. You cannot specify the ringtone to use, only what I guess I'd call
the 'cadence' - you'll notice dr1 through dr5 ring in different patterns.

4. Your current ringtone is used with the specified cadence.

The cadences are mostly so similar as to be useless so I have resorted
to having the 7960s register multiple line appearances so you can see
which one is ringing through, rather than using distinctive ring.

If anyone has successfully got a custom ring tone, do chime in.

Similarly, if you know how to get VXML_URL to work on the 7960, let me
know. This just appends stuff to the To: SIP header. I see no mention of
this (or XML push) anywhere in the Cisco documentation, so I'm
disinclined to believe the wiki/source that this field is actually for
the Cisco phones. Maybe something else.

David.