[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Speex

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 20 06:14:53 MST 2004

Daniel Bichara wrote:

> WipeOut wrote:
>
>> Carlos Chavez wrote:
>>
>>>     I have been trying out Asterisk with the speex codec with X-lite
>>> as a
>>> client.  I applied the REG patch on my windows machine that is
>>> recommended in
>>> Voip-info.org.  Every time I make a call I get the following error:
>>>
>>> codec_speex.c:167 speextolin_framein: Out of buffer space
>>>
>>>     If I do not hang up before 30 seconds, my machine then slows
>>> down and it
>>> can take up to 10 minutes to shut down.  Is speex worth the trouble?
>>>

>> My personal opinion is that you would be better off using GSM or
>> iLBC.. I don't think Speex has any advantage over these codecs and is
>> always a PITA..
>

> Sorry but I disagree. I am using SPEEX and voice quality is much
> better than GSM and it consumes less bandwidth. Using Speex and Linux
> is  just a "make; make install".
> Although, we MUST encourage OpenSource initiatives or we will pay
> Licenses forever. Take a look at G.723 or G.729, for example. ITU
> released this protocols many years ago and we still have to pay
> royalties. About this kind of license there is another thread talking
> about...
>
> Daniel

Agreed, speex is fine when going * to *.. UA to * over speex is usually
a nightmare, and the number of UA's with speex support are very few..
Maybe if there was more support for it in the industry it would be worth
using.. We will just have to wait and see what the future holds..

Anyway personal favorite is iLBC but there is not much support in the
UA's for that either.. :(

So for now its GSM or G.711 from UA to *.. What a choice!!

Later..