[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Speex

Daniel Bichara daniel at bichara.com.br
Sat Mar 20 04:56:01 MST 2004

WipeOut wrote:

> Carlos Chavez wrote:
>
>>     I have been trying out Asterisk with the speex codec with X-lite
>> as a
>> client.  I applied the REG patch on my windows machine that is
>> recommended in
>> Voip-info.org.  Every time I make a call I get the following error:
>>
>> codec_speex.c:167 speextolin_framein: Out of buffer space
>>
>>     If I do not hang up before 30 seconds, my machine then slows down
>> and it
>> can take up to 10 minutes to shut down.  Is speex worth the trouble?
>>

> My personal opinion is that you would be better off using GSM or
> iLBC.. I don't think Speex has any advantage over these codecs and is
> always a PITA..

Sorry but I disagree. I am using SPEEX and voice quality is much better
than GSM and it consumes less bandwidth. Using Speex and Linux is  just
a "make; make install".
Although, we MUST encourage OpenSource initiatives or we will pay
Licenses forever. Take a look at G.723 or G.729, for example. ITU
released this protocols many years ago and we still have to pay
royalties. About this kind of license there is another thread talking
about...

Daniel