[Asterisk-Users] Problems with asterisk and gnophone on Gentoo box

Kevin asterisk at gnosys.biz
Thu Mar 18 08:40:14 MST 2004

Hi All-

I seem to be having problems using my sound card with asterisk and
gnophone in a Gentoo system (not sure if it being Gentoo is important
or not, but thought I'd mention it just in case).  I have the following
errors when starting gnophone:

bash-2.05b$ gnophone
Card /dev/dsp is no good because Device does not support mono PCM data
Loaded and activated '/usr/lib/gnophone/modules/audio-oss.so'
Loaded and activated '/usr/lib/gnophone/modules/audio-phone.so'
iax.c line 654 in iax_init: Started on port 5036
Listening on port 5036
Initialized phone core
No audio devices found
bash-2.05b$
(my pardon if I should be asking about gnophone in the gnophone list,
but since they're both using the IAX protocol, I thought that the
reason for the asterisk failure might be related in some way to the
reason for the gnophone failure, and so I have included gnophone
details here as well)

...and also these errors when running asterisk:
Mar 18 09:56:29 WARNING[229391]: chan_oss.c:238 sound_thread: Read error
on sound device: Resource temporarily unavailable

Asterisk Ready.
*CLI> dial
*CLI>     -- Executing Wait("OSS/dsp", "1") in new stack
    -- Executing Answer("OSS/dsp", "") in new stack
 << Console call has been answered >>
    -- Executing DigitTimeout("OSS/dsp", "5") in new stack
    -- Set Digit Timeout to 5
    -- Executing ResponseTimeout("OSS/dsp", "10") in new stack
    -- Set Response Timeout to 10
    -- Executing BackGround("OSS/dsp", "demo-congrats") in new stack
Mar 18 09:56:35 WARNING[262161]: chan_oss.c:408 soundcard_setinput:
Unable to re-open DSP device: Device or resource busy
Mar 18 09:56:35 WARNING[262161]: chan_oss.c:567 oss_write: Unable to set
device to input mode
Mar 18 09:56:35 WARNING[262161]: file.c:521 ast_readaudio_callback:
Failed to write frame
    -- Playing 'demo-congrats' (language 'en')
  == Spawn extension (local, s, 5) exited non-zero on 'OSS/dsp'
 << Hangup on console >>

My hardware and driver setup is as follows:

=> M/B: ASUS A7N8X with onboard nForce2 audio system

=> bash-2.05b# lspci|grep audio
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97
Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)

=> bash-2.05b# cat /proc/pci
  Bus  0, device   6, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio
Controler (MCP) (rev 161).
      IRQ 21.
      Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=5.
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd4ff].
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd87f].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0001000 [0xe0001fff].

=> bash-2.05b# lsmod|grep audio
nvaudio                36180   0
ac97_codec             13076   0  [nvaudio]
soundcore               4196   4  [snd nvaudio]

In addition to the above, I noted a comment from asterisk about killing
artsd, and have tried running asterisk without X running at all and
with X/KDE 3.2 running, but after having killed the artsd and verified
that it's dead with ps aux | grep arts (it was there before, and
afterwards, it's gone).

I tried gnophone with X/KDE 3.2 running, but after having killed the
artsd (using kcontrol->Sound & Multimedia->Sound System) and verified
that it's dead with ps aux | grep arts (it was there before, and
afterwards, it's gone).

I'm using alsa and a Gentoo kernel version 2.4.22, but with oss
emulation as setup in my USE variable:

**************************************
bash-2.05b# emerge info
Portage 2.0.50-r1 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.2, glibc-2.3.2-r9,
2.4.22-gentoo-r7)
System uname: 2.4.22-gentoo-r7 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.13
CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER="gcc3"
CXXFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="X Xaw3d alsa apm arts avi berkdb bonobo cdr crypt cups doc encode
esd foomaticdb gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile imlib java
jpeg kde kerberos krb4 ldap libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mozilla mpeg
mysql ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python qt
quicktime readline samba sasl sdl slang spell ssl svga tcltk tcpd tetex
truetype x86 xml2 xmms xv zlib"
 (some details snipped as they seemed irrelevant)

When I'm not testing asterisk and have artsd running, sound in KDE and
Gnome works fine for me with CD players, mp3 players, system
notification sounds, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem is here?  Is it simply the
case that asterisk and gnophone don't support my hardware?  I could'a
swore I read that they worked with any sound card that worked in Linux.

Thanks for any comments.

-Kevin