[Asterisk-Users] Does anyone have faxes working well with X100P and TDM40B cards?

Jim Sneeringer j at snee.us
Tue Mar 16 13:16:01 MST 2004

When I send or receive faxes with a modem, the faxes are stretched and have
missing information.

Here are the things I have tried so far:

 - verified that the 2.4 GHz P4 is not overloaded
 - tried different Asterisk channels for both FXO and FXS
 - turned off echocancel
 - bumped up rxgain and txgain
 - tried different fax software (Windows vs. WinFax)
 - confirmed that everything works fine when
   the faxes are not routed through Asterisk.

One person told me I need ECM modems, but I don't have one to try and I
can't see asking my customers to get new modems. Also, what if the other end
of the connection doesn't have ECM? I would really like to get Asterisk to
work with ordinary fax modems.

Why does Asterisk not work as well with fax modems as any other phone
system?

Thanks.

Jim