[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk & Analog Modems

Jim Sneeringer j at snee.us
Mon Mar 15 09:58:56 MST 2004

When I connect a modem to and FXS card and use it to send and receive faxes,
it doesn't work reliably. The faxes are mangled -- stretched or with parts
missing.

I haven't tried transmitting data with the modem, so I cannot address that,
but you should still be aware of the potential for a problem.

In trying to remedy the situation, I have checked for other CPU load on the
2.4 GHz P4 (there was none), tried different channels (in case it might be a
hardware sample defect), turned off echocancel, and boosted rxgain and
txgain, all to no avail. I have also confirmed that everything works fine
when the faxes are not routed through Asterisk. It doesn't matter whether
the fax is being sent or received.

I have been advised to use different fax software (I am using WinFax), but I
haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jim