[Asterisk-Users] Music on Hold sound "goes off" if environment is silent

Bob Knight bk at minusw.com
Thu Mar 11 11:12:18 MST 2004

Ernest W. Lessenger wrote:

> At 08:37 AM 3/11/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Music on hold works if the environment is noisy.
>> But in case of silence the sound goes off.
>> If I scratch continuously on the mikrofone, then the replay works
>> without
>> any interruption.
>>
>> Q: is there a parameter which influences this behaviour?
>

> Whatever phone or softphone you are using, you need to disable silence
> suppression. Why? Dunno exactly. In the newest version of Xten, the
> feature is "Advanced System Settings -> Audio Settings -> Silence
> Settings -> Transmit Silence" - Should be "Yes".

Why?
Because the * community is just a little on the lazy side.
* can not self clock RTP packets.  Instead of clocking itself and just
locking on to received packets, it totally relies on received packets
for it's timing.

No packets coming in for timing, no packets going out.

This would be something fun to work on, but who has time when
there are work arounds.  I am unemployed and I do not have the time.

--
Bob Knight
[-w] the work option
bk at minusw.com