[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 and short delay before voice starts after ring.

Barton Hodges barton at gcmcomputers.com
Thu Mar 11 09:25:14 MST 2004

asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com wrote:
>> exten => 6500,1,Answer
>> exten => 6500,2,Wait,1
>> exten => 6500,3,VoicemailMain2
>>
>> Or should I say, "Me too!"
>>
>> Is this the bug for the case in question?
>>  "CSCed48311: Media takes 0.4 sec to be set up"
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Andrew
>>
> Yes the problem is that when making outgoing calls, there is
> enough of a
> delay in the call setup once the remote side picks up, that
> people that
> answer the phone "hello" will be heard saying "o"  or if they
> talk fast
> enough not heard at all therefor leaving a very awkward
> silence at the
> start of a call.
>
> This is very annoying. A earlier  person  suggested  answering the
> calls before  dialing  and playing a ringing sound till the
> start of the
> voice.  That may be a work around of sorts for some,  you will hear
> ring then a congestion tone on call that can't connect, or a
> ring before
> a operator messages (say to dial one before the number) that
> most users
> may not be used to.  I'll be playing with that ideal to see
> what "odd"
> effect a ring has before call setup causes.
>
> The work around may be less annoying then the problem. <smile> I'll
> see.

I've seen the same thing, and it appears to be from attempting a
native bridge.  You can try the attached patch to disable native
bridging.  It cut out the annoying silence completely for me.  This
may be a bad thing (unnecessary CPU utilization due to same-codec
translation), but I have not experienced any problems.

	Barton