[Asterisk-Users] Small office requirements - Can this be done?

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Wed Mar 10 19:19:41 MST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 04:40:38PM -0500, John Fraizer wrote:

> Steve Kennedy wrote:
> >It't not quite that simple, DSL in the UK is PPPoATM, so you need to
> >take into account who IP is encoded at the ATM layer etc. If you're
> >using a reasonable bit rate codec, you can't really expect to get much
> >more than 1 voice channel out of an ADSL service (assume something like
> >1/4 of the upstream rate is usable - so with a 256K upstream service,
> >that's a 64K channel).
> Man... Talk about getting shafted by your provider.  The only positive
> thing to having those limits on upstream bandwidth of consumer connections
> is that it acts as a nice throttle for boneheads who get their machines
> infected and become zombie soldiers in a DDoS army.
> My customers would shoot me if I ever thought of oversubscribing 2:1, let
> alone 50:1.  I guess that is why we don't do consumer grade _anything_
> though.

In the UK there's just over 2M ADSL users, these are ALL privisioned on
BT Wholesale ADSL (sold through resellers, the majority being through BT
Retail or BT Openworld - now BT Yahoo Openworld).

There are a few others who went into local loop unbundling, but they are
few and far betweem the biggest being Easynet who have anywhwre between
4,000 and 20,000 unbundled lines (depending on who's figures you
believe - I'd guess nearer 4,000).

Cable accounts for around another million+'ish ...

So the majority of ADSL is BT, they're an encumbant, they don't really
want VoDSL etc as it cuts into core revenue to much.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd Phone/Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
SMS steve-epage (at) gbnet.net [body] gpg 1024D/468952DB 2001-09-19