[Asterisk-Users] Small office requirements - Can this be done?

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Wed Mar 10 14:40:38 MST 2004

Steve Kennedy wrote:
> It't not quite that simple, DSL in the UK is PPPoATM, so you need to
> take into account who IP is encoded at the ATM layer etc. If you're
> using a reasonable bit rate codec, you can't really expect to get much
> more than 1 voice channel out of an ADSL service (assume something like
> 1/4 of the upstream rate is usable - so with a 256K upstream service,
> that's a 64K channel).
>
> Steve

Man... Talk about getting shafted by your provider.  The only positive thing
to having those limits on upstream bandwidth of consumer connections is that
it acts as a nice throttle for boneheads who get their machines infected and
become zombie soldiers in a DDoS army.

My customers would shoot me if I ever thought of oversubscribing 2:1, let
alone 50:1.  I guess that is why we don't do consumer grade _anything_ though.

John