There is no FORK! (WAS Re: [Asterisk-Users] BETA RADIUS support for Asterisk)

William Waites asterisk at lists.styx.org
Wed Mar 10 18:44:57 MST 2004

Jeremy, I am really not interested in rehashing this again.
You know my views on the matter, I know yours. We disagree.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:04:52PM -0500, Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> I seem to recall your http://www.gnutel.com publicly discussing a fork
> of Asterisk.

This is no secret (though it was gnutel.net, not .com).
I am still in favour of a GPL fork that does not encourage
people to develop non-free software, and if someone were
to take up that project I would support them. But I am
not working on this having chosen another course of action
some time ago.

> I have one shared object module that quite a few people have expressed
> interest in, yes, but this is is far from a fork of Asterisk.  This is
> absolutely nothing different than chan_dialogic.so or even
> codec_g729b.so. If you want it, you can pay for it. If not, write your
> own, you have the damn code.

Also note that the software ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT need to be
split-licensed in order to be able to use OpenH323 and g729.
Your arguments to that effect earlier in this thread are
FALSE.

The ONLY reason for the software to be split-licensed is to
leave the door open for future development of proprietary
extensions -- as you have done.

> How about James Golovich aka citats?   (sorry James)

Yes, on this I stand corrected. Sorry James for the omission.

/w
--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email