[Asterisk-Users] G.729 vs. G.729 pass thru

Derek Samford dsamford at netphoneblue.com
Wed Mar 10 14:57:37 MST 2004

Anthony,
	Asterisk by default allows pass through. You shouldn't need a
license. It's only when you need to do transcoding (I.E. you need to
decompress the voice, whether it be for Codec translation, to dial out a
Zap channel, which would be ULAW or ALAW, Voicemail (still technically
codec translation), or any other number of things.) If you are just
doing protocol conversion, with the same codecs, then your fine.
However, if you need
SIP(any codec other than G.729) -->asterisk ---> H.323 SS(g729)
Then you would need a license.

Derek