There is no FORK! (WAS Re: [Asterisk-Users] BETA RADIUS support for Asterisk)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Mar 10 15:11:43 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 15:42, Jeremy McNamara wrote:
> Steven Critchfield wrote:
>
> >Maybe you should read and understand the comments on licensing. Maybe a
> >going over the licensing threads here would also be needed.
> >
> >For the short story, Digium dual licenses asterisk. There is a GPL
> >license for those of us that don't need proprietary support, and then
> >there is a proprietary license that is charged for and is a fork of
> >asterisk by Digium.
> >

> Mark needs full control of the copyright so things like Open H.323,
> OpenSSL and G.729 can exist in Asterisk.  There is no FORK!
>

> >This is why disclaimers are important for those who
> >contribute patches. If there isn't a disclaimer, Digium can not include
> >it in the proprietary version of asterisk. If they can not include it in
> >the proprietary version, they tend to not allow it in their version of
> >the GPL releases so they don't have to maintain a real proprietary fork
> >as well as the GPL version.
> >

> THERE IS NO FORK!  There is a total of ONE (1) Asterisk source tree.

If it is licensed differently, and it is distributed with other add-ons
then there is a fork. I understand it is such a minor one, and the only
things we as GPL users don't get are those item that need to have
compensation to another party, but there are differences and therefore
fork is an appropriate term. It is not used with any derogatory
connotations here.

> >So far the majority of us are cool with this fact and can work around
> >any annoyances this causes. But as stated in the comments in that bug,
> >there needs to be a disclaimer from free radius to use their software in
> >such a way.
> >

> A disclaimer is only needed if the code is to be included with Asterisk.
>

> Please get your facts straight before posting.

I have my facts straight. The question was if it was ready to be
included in asterisk. Without the disclaimer, it isn't. You seem to have
agreed in your short rant here with what I have said regarding the
disclaimer.