[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk mangling faxes

Michiel Betel michiel at betel.nl
Wed Mar 10 11:25:47 MST 2004

Eric Wieling wrote:

>First of all Asterisk does not support ${VARIABLES} as part of the
>extension number.  i.e. exten => ${BLAH},1,NoOp is not valid, but exten
>=> 1234,1,NoOp(${BLAH}) is valid.

Huh !?! Astreisk might not support it.... but it seems to work fine in
my setup, show dialplan expands the variables correctly, and more
importantly, the correct fax port is selected based on the dialled numer...

>Also Asterisk NEEDS the sending fax machine to send standard fax machine
>tones (CNG, I think) for it to be detected.  When you send a fax the fax
>machine starts sending tones as soon as the call is dialed.  Asterisk
>listens for these tones and if it hears them it will route the call to
>exten => fax,1,Blah if such an extension exists.

Yep, but if you don't have a fax extension defined it will only tell you
it detected a fax tone but won't act on it... problem with using the fax
extension is that it makes it harder to support more then one fax machine.