[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Codecs [G.729]

Fran Boon flavour at partyvibe.com
Tue Mar 9 12:15:54 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 00:29,  wrote:
> I'm looking for advice for codec that works best for asterisk.  Anyone
> has real testing with all codecs, specially with G.729.  I have tested
> with single call on few codecs that come with asterisk by using IPTraf
> and the rate as of below:
> ulaw 64 Kbps, sample-based Also known as alaw/ulaw 166kbits/sec
> alaw 64 Kbps, sample-based Also known as alaw/ulaw 167kbits/sec
> gsm 13 Kbps (full rate), 20ms frame size   66kbits/sec
> speex 2.15 to 44.2 Kbps     n/a
> iLBC 15Kbps,20ms frame size: 13.3 Kbps, 30ms frame size 57.6kbits/sec
> G.729 8 Kbps, 10ms frame size    license

Single call using which protocol?
I would like to know more about your methodology...

> Have anyone test it with G.729?  Please let me know.

John Todd has tested IAX2 in 'trunking' mode with a variety of codecs ,
including G.729:
http://voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+bandwidth+iax2

Note that your results show Speex as better than iLBC for a single call,
which differs from John Todd's...