[Asterisk-Users] Most common CODEC

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Mar 9 08:26:44 MST 2004

Michael Shuler wrote:

>G.729 is just about everywhere.  A lot of boxes use G.723 (and/or G.726) too
>but G.729 ends up with about the same quality but at a much lower bit rate.

That's wrong. G.723 has the lowest bit rate amongst those codecs.

>Most inexpensive "hard" phones don't use G.723 because it takes a lot of CPU
>power.  G.729 gets better results in the same or less CPU.  We always try to

That's not the reason. It costs money, takes some a DSP's usually
limited memory space, and doesn't serve much purpose. The CPU
requirements for G,723 are not much different from G.729. G.723 is
basically obsolete. G.729 has passed it by.

>use phones supporting G.729, anything else is just gravy.  If you can use

That is certainly true. G.729 isn't very nice in many ways, but it is
the common ground codec you find across most VoIP kit.

>reinvites then you have no need for the G.729 unless you use the IVR, MOH,
>etc. features of * where it is dishing out audio.  Even then you have to
>consider if its worth it... After all if you are starting hosted VM company
>using * then the G.729 is a must, but if you are just using to route calls
>between 2 phones that can reinvite then the codec capabilities of * don't
>matter.

Regards,
Steve