[Asterisk-Users] ISDN BRI VoIP & Internet

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Mar 8 15:49:46 MST 2004

Hi!

> What I want to look at having a Small Home Office setup were I can use
> the 1 BRI for both DID and Internet at the same time.
>
> Is it possible to use something like a FRITZ! ISDN BRI card to have full
> time Internet on one of the B channels and have the other B channel for
> * for both incomming and outgoing calls?

Should work.
However chan_capi apparently cannot tell if a B channel is already in use
by another application (that manages your dial-up). So that means you
either need to have devices=1 (instead of 2) in /etc/asterisk/capi.conf
to permanently assign one B channel for Internet dialup only, or you live
with the fact that once in a while chan_capi will return a busy when you
try to use two (outgoing) B channels while Internet traffic is on.

Not sure how i4l works in this respect.

> and even to be able to have 2 BRI's in the future and have them split
> between internet and external lines.

Should work, although stability *might* be an issue. There are even
reports about 3 cards in one system.

Philipp