[Asterisk-Users] windows alternitives to Asterisk?

Matt Riddell matt at surecall.co.nz
Mon Mar 8 14:47:49 MST 2004

I use Putty.

It runs on windows, is free, and connects to my various servers.

It allows you to get an SSH terminal (just like a normal Linux terminal) and
you can use it to edit your config files as well as running the asterisk
command window.

You will however still need to edit the config files manually...

The thing I have found is that you never usually need to recreate the whole
config files; once you have created a working system, you will usually only
need to change 1 or 2 lines as time goes on.

Seeing the console up is really useful, because it means that you can keep
an eye on what's happening on the server without running a linux client.

I have my router set up to pass different ports to port 22 on different
machines (email, web, mysql, asterisk, etc), but if you just want to access
one pc you only really need to open port 22.

Having said that, I prefer to keep ports away from their defaults to hinder
script kiddies! (Only works for the absolute lowest form of these - and
probably breaks some software I haven't yet used)

Drop me a line off list if you want to know how to use/setup puTTY.

(BTW it can also tunnel other connections through the firewall - so for
example if you only have port 22 open and you need to get at port 3306 you
can set up puTTY so that you connect to localhost:3306 and it will make it
connect to that port somewhere inside the lan)

Kind regards,

Matt