[Asterisk-Users] Options for 3+ FXO ports

Francois Lachance flachance at accesscomm.ca
Sun Mar 7 16:12:46 MST 2004

Hello everybody!

I'm looking into implementing an * solution and I'm expecting to require 4
incoming FXO lines.  Based on my reading of the mailing list archives and
what I read on the Digium web site, I don't think that this can be achieved
with X100P cards as it doesn't seem to be practical to have more than 3
X100P cards at the time (IRQs is the main problem I think).  At four FXO
ports, I can't quite justify something like a full T1 on a monthly basis.
But, since I've never ordered one, I'm thinking that it's a "all or nothing"
deal (i.e.: I can't order a T1 and pay for only 4 voice channels).  It would
seem that the best I can do is a 3x8 configuration according to the
information on this page
http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=wildcard_tdm400p

I know that ISDN never caught on in the USA, but here (Regina, Saskatchewan,
Canada), it is an option which is less expensive than Centrex lines or
regular single business lines.  Unfortunately, Digium doesn't sell ISDN
cards, so I'm left to explore the options on my own.  The WIKI page talking
about ISDN (http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-zaptelBRI) has a definite European
feel to it as most, if not all, the cards mentioned are German.

I find that Digium has a bit of a hole in their product line.  They provide
the required hardware if you need 1-3 FXO lines or if you need 1-4 T1 ports,
but nothing in between, which ISDN would fill nicely.  They do have a 4 port
FXS card.  Now all they need is a 4 port FXO card.  Better yet, a 4 port
ISDN card which would support up to 8 simultaneous calls.

One option that I found seems to be an Eicon card, such as the Diva Server
4BRI (http://www.eicon.com/us/products/MediaGateways/DIVA_4BRI_8M.htm).
Anybody has any experience with that type of card?  Will * support it?  It
says that it supports Linux: TTY, CAPI 2.0 Application Interface.

Thanks all,

Francois