[Asterisk-Users] E1 Red Alarm

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Sat Mar 6 11:31:41 MST 2004

> Hi.  Just for grins, reverse the BNC's.  You could have the
> tx and rx crossed, happens all the time on ds-3's.  Also,
> with the BNC's unplugged and hanging, You should have a
> Yellow light on the Hdsl Box (I've always called that a
> smartjack, but we call football soccer, so what do we know?

Not much, the way some tell it :-)

The HDSL box gets a red light when the BNCs are unplugged or switched, or
when i try to mess with the cabling (i.e. use a straight-thru) between the
balun and the TE410P.  The one thing I haven't tried doing is seeing if
tip and ring are backward, but it seems a remote possibility.
> :) ).  If you don't get a yellow light with the BNC's
> hanging then the smartjack probably has an internal loopback
> set and you need to give your telco a call to clear it.

I thought about this, if a replacement balun and new coax don't fix the
problem, the guy over there said he'd try to get them to come out.  Much
like American public utilities, though, he said that the local telco
doesn't much like housecalls.  Hopefully the balun fixes it and we don't
have to deal with that eventuality.
Nick